St Albans Cathedral Choir
St Albans Cathedral Choir was based in an ancient Benedictine monastery which had a distinguished musical history before its dissolution by Henry VIII in 1539. When it became a cathedral in 1877 a choir was again formed, after 338 years, of local schoolboys.
There is no residential choir school; the boys rehearse before and after school, sing Choral Evensong on two weekdays and three choral services with the lay clerks each weekend. Many ex-choristers, together with those from the Abbey Girls Choir, go on to university as choral and organ scholars. The twelve lay clerks are a dedicated and highly skilled group of musicians who sing weekend services and concerts, and who, in the main, earn their living outside the music profession.
As well as performing regularly at the Cathedral, the choir have also toured destinations around the world. Most recently the choir toured Northern Germany, performing concerts in Hanover and Brunswick, as well as singing for the service of Solemn Vespers on the feast of Pentecost, marking the 1200th Anniversary of the Diocese of Hildesheim. Past tour destinations have also included Italy, Sweden, the Netherlands, France and the East Coast of the USA.
Under their current director, Andrew Lucas, St Albans Cathedral Choir maintains a reputation as one of the best Cathedral Choirs in the United Kingdom. They perform a variety of repertoire, which consists of both traditional choral music, as well as more modern genres and new compositions.