Sponsor a Canon's Stall - a unique naming opportunity
Fri, 3 May 2013
In October 2013 eight new Canon Stalls will be dedicated in the Quire to provide for eight new Honorary Canons. This creates a unique opportunity to sponsor a Stall and to have your name, or the name of a loved one, permanently associated with the Canons and on display in the Cathedral.
Honorary Canons include lay persons, those in Holy Orders and ecumenical representatives. Individuals can become Honorary Canons because they play a special part in Cathedral life or are chosen by the Bishop for their service to the Church. Stalls are named after holy people connected with the Cathedral or the Diocese and the new stalls will be named after the following holy women who lived or worked in the area:
- Alice de Claremont, Founder of the Preceptory of Melchbourne
- Juliana Berners, Prioress from St Albans
- Christina of Markyate, Nun and Mystic Sister Jane, Sister and Mother Superior of the
- Sisters of the Love of God at Boxmoor
- Rohese de Vere, Countess of Essex and Founder of the Gilbertine Priory at Chicksands
- Anna Constantia Thynne, Scientist
- Sister Agnes, First Prioress of Harrold in Bedfordshire
- Judith of Lens, Founder of Elstow Abbey
The stalls have traditionally been sponsored by individuals whose names are inscribed in plaques attached to the stalls. Some of these date back hundreds of years and can still be read today.
In keeping with this tradition, the Cathedral is inviting individuals, companies or Trusts to sponsor a new stall. A minimum donation of £5,000 will secure a short dedication or inscription on a plaque on the stall. Donors will also be invited to a special service and reception to dedicate and celebrate the new stalls in October 2013.
For further information
If you would like to know more about this unique opportunity please contact Helen Gray in the Development Office on 01727 890229 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All proceeds will go towards the Cathedral and its work.