History of the Library
The library of St Albans Abbey was one of the finest in Europe, but the collection was broken up at the dissolution of the monastery in 1539.
When the Abbey became a cathedral church in 1877 a modest library was re-founded, this was extended and endowed by a bequest from Canon Cyril Hudson in 1960.
The library was further extended by books from the former theological college, Bishop’s College, Cheshunt.
In 1982 the library moved to its present premises when the Chapter House was opened. In 2014 it changed its name from the Hudson Library to the St Albans Cathedral Library, and the room has been renamed the Hudson Room.
The Cathedral Library is a modern theological lending library able to meet the needs of the general reader, teachers and students (from sixth form level to higher or further education), people training for ordination or lay ministry and clergy undertaking continuing ministerial education. The library’s resources cover the full range of theological disciplines (biblical studies, ethics, doctrine, philosophy, practical theology, church history and comparative religion).