Constitution and Statutes
The Abbey Church of St Alban in the city of St Albans was declared by an Order in Council on the 30 April 1877 to be the Cathedral Church of the new Diocese of St Albans.
The first Constitution and Statutes for the Cathedral and Abbey Church of St Alban were confirmed by Orders in Council dated 28 July 1938 and 17 April 1940.
Following the Cathedrals Measure 1963, the Constitution and Statutes were revised and confirmed by Order in Council dated 7 June 1968. These remain in force until the present Constitution and Statutes, drawn up by a Transitional Council established in accordance with the Cathedrals Measure 1999, shall come into force on such date as may be determined by the Archbishops of Canterbury and York.
Amendments and additions since that date are included in this document which came into effect on
21st May 2014.
A glossary of terms used is given in the Constitution XIII (3).