The Cathedral and Abbey Church of Saint Alban is the seat of the Bishop of St Albans and serves the Diocese of St Albans in the counties of Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire, the Borough of Luton and the London Borough of Barnet.
The Cathedral is also a parish church with a large and active congregation. The Dean, the Very Reverend Dr Jeffrey John, who is also the Rector of the Parish of St Albans Abbey, is head of the cathedral establishment.
The Cathedral exists to glorify God and proclaim Christ's' message of love. We aim to:
- be a community that reflects Jesus' teaching;
- share the faith and grow in faith;
- deepen our unity with fellow Christians;
- stand with St Alban for truth and justice;
- offer a warm welcome to all who come;
- serve the Bishop and Diocese of St Albans as their Cathedral Church;
- enhance and conserve this sacred place;
The Cathedral and Abbey Church of St Alban is a body corporate with perpetual succession and a common seal and is governed in accordance with its Constitution and Statutes the latest versions of which were approved by the Archbishops of Canterbury and York on the 6th April 2000 and came into force on 9th May 2000.
There is an Annual Meeting of the congregation, normally held in April, at which elections are held and the Dean gives a report on the activities of the cathedral over the previous year. In May 2006 there were 1313 names on the parochial electoral rolls.
The work of the cathedral is supported by 55 full and part time staff and over 1000 volunteers. These volunteers work in a very wide range of areas from bell ringing, youth work and flower arranging to welcoming visitors, clearing tables in the refectory café and making music.
The cathedral is a centre of worship and mission with a world renowned musical tradition and a highly regarded Education Centre. Ecumenical links are strong with honorary ecumenical chaplains from the Roman Catholic, Free Church, Lutheran and Russian Orthodox traditions. Regular services are conducted in the cathedral by the ecumenical chaplains who take full part in the life of the place.